Hong Kong Media Reshaped by Dismissals, Audits and Red Lines

Nikkei Asia July 1, 2025

The national security law has dramatically altered Hong Kong media.

KENSAKU IHARA

July 1, 2025 11:07 JST

HONG KONG — Barry Wood, an international economics correspondent for

Radio Television Hong Kong (RTHK), received an unexpected call on May 22

that brought his three-decade career at the broadcaster to an abrupt end.

The 81-year-old journalist, based in Washington, said RTHK’s news division

informed him that his contract would not be renewed. No reason was given, he

said — only that his final day would be the following week, despite his contract

running through September.

By continuing to browse this website, you accept cookies which are used for several reaso

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Hong-Kong-security-law/Hong-Kong-media-reshaped-by-dismissals-audits-and-red-lines 1/62025/7/1 上午11:45 Hong Kong media reshaped by dismissals, audits and red lines – Nikkei Asia

Wood said he and some of his colleagues suspect his sudden dismissal was

related to a column he published years earlier, during the anti-government

protests that swept Hong Kong in 2019. He had compared how different models

of governance shaped political realities and lives in Hong Kong and Shanghai.

“I think it was a very balanced piece. I really liked it. But somebody didn’t like it,”

Wood said. “I tend to believe that is the reason now.”

RTHK did not respond to a request for comment. The group’s editorial policies

state that RTHK is obligated to “observe the constitutional duty and legal

responsibility of the [Hong Kong Special Administrative Region] to safeguard

national security,” including ensuring its staff abide by the law.

While the assertion that Wood’s column curtailed his career cannot be

confirmed, it is clear that RTHK has undergone sweeping changes in recent

years, since China imposed a strict national security law on Hong Kong in 2020.

Founded in 1928 under British colonial rule, RTHK was modeled after the BBC

and was long known for its editorial independence. After the 1997 handover —

Tuesday marks the 28th anniversary — the broadcaster came under the control

of the Hong Kong government, but remained as one of the most credible sources

of information in Chinese and English.

Under new leadership, however, it has gone through management reshuffles,

program cuts and a wave of staff departures. All of this is part of a broader

transformation of Hong Kong’s media landscape.

“It’s very hard to take a traditional, Western-style broadcaster and make it into

[a] Central China type broadcaster. That’s not an easy job,” Wood said. “So, I

guess somebody — again, no reason given — [decided] to get rid of these guys

who have talked about the protests or whose social media included anything

about the protests.”

Wood was not the only one let go. Another former RTHK journalist, who

previously worked for foreign media, was also dismissed this year without

explanation.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Hong-Kong-security-law/Hong-Kong-media-reshaped-by-dismissals-audits-and-red-lines 2/62025/7/1 上午11:45 Hong Kong media reshaped by dismissals, audits and red lines – Nikkei Asia

“They denied it was about budget or performance,” said the journalist, who

requested anonymity. “But they wouldn’t say why. I suspect it’s because of my

background in foreign media, and what that represents doesn’t align with the

government.”

A Hong Kong newsstand. Hong Kong ranked 18th in Reporters Without Borders’ global press freedom index in 2002.

This year, it placed 140th. (Photo by Yuki Kohara)

While early enforcement of the national security law centered on high-profile

arrests of journalists and pro-democracy figures like Jimmy Lai, founder of the

now-defunct outlet Apple Daily, recent years have brought quieter forms of

pressure: tax audits, along with indirect censorship and uncertainty over where

the red lines are.

Hong Kong ranked 18th in Reporters Without Borders’ global press freedom

index in 2002. This year, it placed 140th. A 2025 survey by the Foreign

Correspondents’ Club found that 62% of respondents believed working

conditions for journalists had worsened over the past year.

Targeted audits are a growing concern. In May, the Hong Kong Journalists

Association reported that at least eight independent outlets, along with their

founders, were subjected to tax probes. The association viewed it as selective

enforcement, citing a lack of evidence to justify most investigations.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Hong-Kong-security-law/Hong-Kong-media-reshaped-by-dismissals-audits-and-red-lines 3/62025/7/1 上午11:45 Hong Kong media reshaped by dismissals, audits and red lines – Nikkei Asia

Chief Executive John Lee defended the audits as routine regulatory work.

“Journalists have no privilege to evade taxes,” he said.

Government officials have also repeatedly singled out news outlets. In 2024

alone, authorities issued at least six statements condemning specific media

organizations and published 14 “clarification” articles in response to foreign

media reports.

Among the journalists still working in defiance of the pressure is Lam Yin-pong,

founder of reNews — a one-man independent outlet.

“I’ve survived longer than I thought, both personally and financially,” said Lam,

40, who previously worked for Stand News before it was forced to shut down in

2021 following a police raid. Two of Stand News’s editors later received

sentences of 21 and 11 months in jail on sedition charges. A judge described the

outlet as “anti-Chinese,” citing 11 articles deemed seditious.

Lam launched reNews in 2022. The outlet has about 300,000 followers across

social media and runs entirely on donations. His reporting focuses on pro-

democracy figures and stories from Hong Kong’s protest movement that are

rarely covered by mainstream outlets.

Leave a comment